House burns on Sisar Road
by Lenny Roberts
A Saturday morning fire caused an estimated $35,000 in damage
at a Sisar Road residence. No one was at home at the single-family
home at 12190 Sisar Road at the time of the fire, which was reported
by several 9-1-1 callers at 10:15 a.m.
The $200,000 structure suffered a $20,000 loss, and damage to
the contents was reported to be $15,000.
According to information supplied by County Fire Public Information
Officer Joe Luna, the cause of the blaze was a non-specific electrical
malfunction in one of the home's bedrooms. Fourteen firefighters
from Stations 20, 21, 22 and 23 kept the flames in the bedroom
area, but smoke and water damage was evident throughout the home.
Reportedly, no one was injured in the blaze.
Luna said that there was a nonfunctioning smoke alarm present
in the home, which was unoccupied at the time of the fire.
The fire was contained at 10:25 a.m., and mop-up activities concluded
at 1 p.m.
Sisar Road is no stranger to fires. In December 1999, two 18-year-old
valley men admitted to accidentally starting a 4,371-acre Upper
Ojai brush fire with fireworks on nearby Koenigstein Road. The
ensuing fire, pushed by winds reported to be 75 mph, destroyed
a Sisar Road home.
In the case of Saturday's blaze, firefighters were able to stop
the flames before they spread into brush areas.
© 2002 The Ojai Valley News
Back to the news