Pat's Liquor takes lead in ORD softball C
By Missy Hinks
What a difference a bat makes! With the
advent of the new "super bats", the Ojai Recreation
Department's men's softball league is now seeing not just your
run-of-the-mill home runs, but home runs to the parking lot and
Pat's Liquor, of the C League, racked up some parking lot home
runs of its own, to take victories over both Wolfpack and Andria's
Seafood, and remained undefeated with a 4-0 record. In Pat's
game against Andria's Seafood, Andria's took the early lead,
up by five runs after four innings. However, Pat's kept Andria's
in the outfield in the fifth, to plate six runs, and take a one
run lead. Andria's Steve Arneson tripled in Jeff Benevidez to
tie the score.
Pat's crew knew they needed a cushion, and pulled ahead by six
runs to claim the victory. The final score was Pat's Liquor
19, Andria's Seafood 14.
The Oak View Outlaws squelched the Firehouse crew for the first
two innings, and take a seven run lead. Firehouse battled back
in the top of the third and scored seven with the help of a long
left field home run by Pete McPherson, and a two RBI singles
by Gary Monday.
The relentless Outlaws were not going to make this easy for the
Firehouse crew, and outpaced their opponent by eight to end the
game. The ending score was Oak View Outlaws 23, Firehouse 15.
The Wolfpack roared into the first inning against Outlaws, batting
through their lineup and taking an 11-run lead. The Outlaws attempted
a comeback in the fifth, led by coach Ray Fraser slamming a solo
home run to right field, and rallying the Outlaws to a five-run
inning. Wolfpack was able to hold the Outlaws and take the game.
The final score was Wolfpack 21, Outlaws 13.
The top "C" batters for the day:
Pat's Liquor (4-0):
· Jim Irvine batted four for seven, with three singles,
a home run and four RBIs.
· Jim Greenway batted four singles and one RBI.
· Dennis Carmichael hit four for five, with two singles,
a double, a home run. He also batted in six teammates.
Andria's Seafood (2-2):
· Outfielder Kevin Rainey poked three singles, three doubles
and an RBI.
· Marc Hersh crushed two singles, two doubles, a home
run and three RBIs.
· Les Hinks batted 500 with four singles and one RBI.
Oak View Outlaws (2-2):
· Shortstop Ernesto Sanchez batted up a storm, with four
singles, two doubles, and four RBIs for the day.
· Jay Archer contributed five singles with two RBIs for
· Pitcher Garry Bird hit three for five with three crucial
singles and a solo RBI.
· Steve Odle slammed four doubles and a sacrifice for
· Pete Mc Pherson was the big batter for the Firehouse
squad going six for seven, with three singles, two doubles, a
home run and five RBIs.
· Mark Weedon batted three singles and two RBIs for the
In Men's B League action, Frank's Rooter Service bested the Avenue
Boyz to force a two way tie for the top spot. Frank's defense
held the Avenue Boyz to one run for the first two innings, while
home runs seemed to abound for the Rooter service team, with
both Gerald Deason and Steven Torres sending the ball to deep
left and scoring three of their first six runs. The Avenue Boyz
came back with a flurry of hits, to close the gap to two. Unable
to gain any ground in the next three innings, the Avenue Boyz,
chased five runs until the final inning, when the Boyz rallied
four runs off of singles to come within one run of catching Frank's.
The final score was Frank's Rooter Boys 13, Avenue Boyz 12.
Chuy's faced off against the Silver Bullet team. Chuy's took
an early two-run lead and held the lead throughout the game.
Chuy's bats were on this Sunday with two home runs by Justin
Pollock, and a home run by John Fitzpatrick. Silver Bullets'
Terry Schliecher and Rob Lasby also participated in the home
run derby with home runs to center field.
The final score was Chuy's 20, Silver Bullets 12.
Top B batters for the day:
Avenue Boyz (3-1):
· Chris Moore batted five singles, a sacrifice and four
· Martin Mendoza hit five of seven, and nabbed three singles
a double and a solo home run.
· Leroy Ortega batted a perfect four-for-four for the
day with four singles and three RBIs.
Frank's Rooter Boys (3-1):
· Rob Logsdon was the big batter for the Rooter Boys,
batting six of seven with three singles, two doubles, a home
run and six RBIs.
· Chuck Filbrook, hitting four of six, slammed two singles,
a double, triple, a sacrifice and three RBIs.
· John Fitzpatrick batted six of eight with two singles,
two triples, two home runs and a big eight RBIs for the day.
· Justin Pollock slammed three home runs, a single and
· Jeff Dietz batted three singles a double, a triple,
sacrifice and three RBIs.
Silver Bullets (0-4):
· Bryan Taylor racked up four singles with two RBIs.
· Rob Lasby hit two singles, a home run and three RBIs.
The Ojai Valley News
to the news