Coburn does it again
By Misty Volaski
Jeff Coburn, 22, a senior golfer
at University of California at Irvine, shot a winning 10-under-par
134 in the 14th Annual Ojai City Golf Championship despite pouring
rain in Sunday's final round at Soule Park Golf Course. His rounds
of 66 and 68 gave the lifelong resident of Ojai a nine shot victory
over four other players.
As one of the youngest players that year, Coburn won the Ojai
City Golf Championship in 2000 with a record-breaking, 11-under
par performance. Coburn was named MVP of the Nordhoff boys' golf
team for each of his four years there; he graduated in 1998.
He is presently rated 65th in the United States by "Golf
Stat" in Division 1 NCAA collegiate rankings. He was named
to the first team, All Big West Conference.
"He's one of the best players to ever come out of Nordhoff.
He's a great young man, really responsible," said former
NHS coach, Dick Sebek.
Following Coburn in the Championship Flight were Andrew Fohrer,
Bob Foster, Doug Miller and Ed Susolik, all of whom posted a
143 to tie for second.
George Tovar and Greg Mayberry took first and second place in
the A Flight, scoring a 138 and 142, respectively.
In the C Flight, Terry Cross netted a 137 for first place. Thomas
Ford came in with a 139, for second place. Michael Keane rounded
out the top three with a 141.
The top three players from each flight will be eligible to play
in the Tournament of Champions in October. The following are
the complete results of the 14th Annual Ojai City Golf Championship:
* First place, Jeff Coburn, posting 134.
* Second-place tie between Andrew Fohrer, Bob Foster, Doug Miller
and Ed Susolik; each posted 143.
* Sixth-place tie between Lew Murez, Chris Reherson, John Ramirez
III and Adam Sides; each posted 144.
* 10th-place tie between Jake Allanach, Gabriel Armendariz, Craig
Disiere, Chris Heintz and Ryne Rindfleisch; each posted 146.
(handicap four to eight)
* First place, George Tovar, posting 138.
* Second place, Greg Mayberry, posting 142.
* Third-place tie between Carlos Hernandez and Richard Mathis;
each posted 143.
* Fifth place, Joe Boxley, posting 144.
(handicap nine to 12)
* First place, Bryan Davis, posting 135.
* Second place, James Kosmicki, posting 138.
* Third place, Joey Seiler, posting 141.
* Fourth place, Tom Murry, posting 142.
* Fifth place, Doug Day, posting 143.
(handicap 13 and over)
* First place, Terry Cross, posting 137.
* Second place, Thomas Ford, posting 139
* Third place, Michael Keane, posting 141.
* Fourth place, Jeff Stevenson, posting 143.
* Fifth place, Bill Miller, posting 147.
Organizers of the 14th Annual Ojai City Golf Championship thanked
the following sponsors:
Bronk Vreeland Ojai Ford, Kinko's, Soule Park Golf Course Clubhouse
Restaurant, ICI Paints, Bonnie Lu's Country Cafe, Chumash Casino,
Architectural Photography by Urbanek, Meiners Oaks Sash &
Door, Coast Structural Underpinning, Coldwell Banker Real Estate,
ReMax Realty, Ojai Termite & Pest Control, The Wharf Restaurant,
The Hatch Co., DeMoors Custom, Don Crouse Engineering, Law Officies
of Cho & Brown, All State Insurance, Pizza Chief, J.A. Sandefur
Construction, Lash Construction, Mission Avocados and the Ojai
Valley Inn & Spa.
The Ojai Valley News
to the news
IN STEADY RAIN Sunday afternoon, Ojai's Jeff Coburn blasts out
of the wet sand en route to winning the 14th annual Ojai City
Golf Championship for the second time in three years.