OUSD deadline Tuesday, Aug. 31, for high school students to change grades to 'Pass' / 'No Pass,' according to new law

8 20 passimage

Nordhoff High School Principal David Monson sent a note to parents about a form OUSD high school students and/or parents can fill out to change a grade to "pass" or "no pass" for the 2020-21 school year. The form is due to be submitted on Tuesday, Aug. 31.

On July 1, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill AB 104 (new Education Code section §49066.5 ), which requires school districts grant students the opportunity to change low grades to a "Pass" or "No Pass" option.

Monson said there is no limit to the number of grades earned by a student during the 2020-21 school year, that can be changed to a "Pass" / "No Pass" designation.
Students don’t have to give a reason for wanting to change their grade, according to the state education department’s website.

People can either complete the application online or the paper form, which is available in the main office at Nordhoff. You do not need to complete both.

The form can be downloaded at 

The law was passed “to counteract the negative impact of the pandemic on academic achievement and graduation credits,” according to a press release from the Ventura County Superintendent of Schools Office, released July 30.

Grades below a "C-" for A-G courses (required for college admittance to California State University and University of California schools) are not accepted, so students who have a grade below a "C" for a class would definitely benefit from the "Pass" / "No Pass" option, since they would not have to retake the course to qualify for admission to a state school.

Call Nordhoff High School at 805-640-4343 for more information about the OUSD form or call the Ventura County Office of Education at 805-383-1900 about its form.

Based on Section 2 of AB 104, a parent, guardian, or education rights holder of any student who was enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 academic year (or a student if they are 18 or older) may submit a request to have a letter grade earned for any course, as reflected on the student's transcript, changed to a "Pass" or "No Pass" grade.

To request this type of grade change on a student's transcript, complete the form and submit it to a student’s academic counselor.

According to Principal Monson, "The California State University system is required to accept a grade of "Pass" during the 2020-21 year for purposes of admitting students. The University of California system has been encouraged to accept a Pass. However, private colleges and universities are not required to accept a grade of Pass in place of a letter grade.

View the CDE’s list of post-secondary institutions that will accept Pass/ No Pass on a transcript at

According to the law, school districts and charter schools are required to post the grade-change request form on their websites and notify families of the option by Aug. 2. Students then have at least 15 days after that to submit the form, which their schools must accept.

Parents also will have the right to request that their child repeat the same academic year, although the school district does not have to honor the request automatically.

Also, graduation requirements for the 2020-21 school year were only what the state requires, not a school district’s additional requirements. This rule has resulted in more students able to earn a diploma.

People can review the following based on a student's desired pathway after graduation:

University of California: The University of California’s Response to COVID-19: Admissions and Financial Aid

• California State University (CSU): COVID-19 Interim Impacts on CSU Undergraduate Admissions Policies and Practices

• California Community Colleges Guidance Letter

• Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU) Institution Activities to Serve High School Juniors and Seniors

• California Department of Education: AB 104 Postsecondary Institution Survey Results




Not a subscriber?  choose your subscription plan.