Articles

Through the years, spa has had a number of makeovers

092817 ojai valley museum el roblar hotel
Photo courtesy of Ojai Valley Museum
The El Roblar Hotel, built by Edward Libbey in 1920, was renamed The Oaks in 1953
Perry Van Houten, Ojai Valley News reporter
Forty years ago, Sheila Cluff took over the oft-owned El Roblar Hotel at 122 E. Ojai Ave. and founded The Oaks at Ojai. The building came with a colorful and sometimes difficult past.
The two-story building was completed in 1920 at a cost of $50,000.
Ojai's major benefactor, Edward D. Libbey, wanted a year-round hotel, so he commissioned architects Frank Mead and Richard Requa, and builder Robert Winfield.
The same team designed and built the Arcade, the Ojai Post Office tower and the Pergola.
The hotel opened in 1920, the same year that streetlights were added to Ojai Avenue.

Register to read more ...

Advertise on our site